Monday, February 8, 2010

Web 2.0 - ii

What was the world like before the internet? I remember buying a book in the early eighties that gave a description of what was meant by the information superhighway. Although at the time, I thought I "got it," I surely didn't.

Did anyone at that time envision the connectivity that we experience today? Not just somewhere we can look for information, but places to share our words, our thoughts and our lives. Twenty years ago I never could have imagined that the most common connections I would have with my granddaughters would occur on something known as Facebook. I know more about the day-to-day activities of my family now, than I ever have in the past. And yes, this is good and bad. Sometimes, it is simply TMI.

And what about Farmville? I hear that statistically there are more people harvesting crops in this make-believe world than there are in real life. Does this make any sense? It is easy for me to be skeptical on the subject because I have never allowed myself to try it. (I am sure that puts me in a minority.) I am afraid if I do I may become a fanatic, as many of my friends seem to be. For the moment, I am just concentrating on real-life problems and leaving the cyberspace farming to others.

Perhaps when we can cultivate crops on my star, I will reconsider.

2 comments:

  1. Mafia Wars seems to be the other online Facebook promoted game that people are into these days. I have not had time to even look at it. I can't imagine that I am missing something that will make me a better person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are not the only one who has not experienced the phenomena of Farmville (not Mafia Wars). I simply do not have time to keep up with a cyberlife and my real life.

    ReplyDelete